I see where Canada has done away with the penny saving an estimated $12 million a year. I have often wondered why we don’t do the same since pennies are a major pain and I usually leave mine in the pennies cup on the counter so the next customer does not have to fish for pennies. Ever wonder why we can’t do these simple cost saving and practical things, but our neighbor to the North seems to have no problem. Dare I mention universal healthcare and lower cost drugs? It really is all about our Congress and how backward and dysfunctional they are.
Oh, and the New York Times had an article about the Feds pushing for some federal voting requirements across all states like 15 day early voting and on-line voter registration. Of course the Republicans are against it since they know that if all the people who want to vote can, they will be out of a job. But once again our eyes turn northward and there is Canada with a national voting system that works just fine and ensures that all the providences have standardized voting procedures to allow everyone to vote. Oh those crazy Canutes.
And just so you know, I am from California, and California is doing just fine. It had one of the shortest waits for voting (average 6 minutes) primarily because they allow voting by mail and reduce the number of voters assigned to each polling place. And while I am on the topic of California, maybe, just maybe, we are going to show the rest of the nation the way to go in the future. With a totally dysfunctional Congress and leadership in Washington, California and a few other states are starting to solve our own problems instead of waiting for Washington to throw out the Republicans so we can get anything done. To wit:
- California put a public commission in place to redistrict our Congressional Districts and lo and behold, the number of votes cast by Democrats and Republicans actually matched the number of Democrats and Republicans we sent to the State House and Congress
- California voted to raise taxes and now it looks like we are out of the woods financially and we can start reinvesting in our schools. Phil Michelson, move to Florida and take a friend
- California instituted a cap and trade system throughout the state to get control of green house gases since we actually believe in global warming and our government is planning for it
- In the last election Californians elected a super majority of Democrats in the State House so we can actually run the government and get things done
- Semi-automatic firearms that the state has classified as assault weapons, .50 BMG caliber rifles, and magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition may not be sold in California. Possession of automatic firearms, and of short-barreled shotguns and rifles, is generally prohibited. It is not perfect, but at least we try
- California already has its own dream act that allows qualifying illegal immigrants to pay in state fees and access to state financial aid at public universities and community colleges
- And as much as it is maligned, California is trying to build a high speed rail to serve our major cities. At least we try to invest in our future.
Now it is true we had Prop 8 which took away the rights of gays to marry, but if that were on the ballot today it would be gone, and if the Supreme Court has a clue, it will over turn it. No we are not perfect, but watching the dysfunction of the Republicans who want to do nothing but lower taxes and disenfranchise women, we are throwing them out and getting on with the business of our future. I wish we could say the same about Washington.